Today we talked to Professor Pannafino about our progress so far. Below is the feedback we received:
- Something based on specific ingredients
- The visuals are working
- Halfway there
- Limited by the Mac OS style display
- Could there be a “sort by” etc. option? Health, time, difficulty, etc.
- Different shapes, different ideations
- Think of Blue Apron sheets
- Show all ingredients
- Organization and structure is there, but try to have different ideations
- Needs indication of temperature – not just low, medium, and high
- Thermometer, more detail
- Think about which colors mean what
- Push some of the ideas of future design
- Where do they use vocal commands, etc.
- Be precise with the Cheffrey illustrations
- Don’t be like Clippy – people didn’t really like Clippy
We went through and decided who is going to do revisions on which screens:
- Heating screens (Gabi’s original files)
- Cheffrey screens (Sara’s original files)
- Recipe screens (filtering, etc.) (Group original files)
- My Cookbook screens (Alyssa’s original files)
- Ingredients/utensils screens (Erica and Megan’s original files)
On Monday, I reformatted the cooktop screens that Gabi worked on. Below is a comparison of the 2:
I took the general ideas of Gabi’s and tried to combine them with some of the elements of the other screens. I also wanted to work on tongue scanning technology that would read tastebuds and dietary preferences and suggest recipes based on that, but unfortunately did not have a chance to work on it so I plan on working on it tomorrow night.
Tonight, I worked on refining the volumetric displays with Cheffrey. Before I began, I referenced current voice recognition technologies. The main three I referenced in my designs were Siri, Cortana, and Google Assistant. Below are pictures I used for inspiration:
Today in class, because we were told that our interface was not futuristic enough, I created the cooktop/pot cleaner. Below is what it would look like:
Outside of class this week we were also asked to create some variation of what was done for this class. Below is a bit of a change from what Alyssa did before:
Before I began working on my variations of Alyssa’s “my cookbook” screens, I did some research both from the book and online. From both, I wanted to focus my variations more on style and layout to try to give more of a futuristic look while still keeping key layout features, like layers.
Above, the left image is the original screen Alyssa made and to the right is the image research I did. I pulled photos of vlumetric projects to understand how elements worked with each other and find commonalities. I also slightly adjusted the color palette. From the reading, there was a color swatch survey of the most prominent colors used in scify interfaces for each year. I took a screenshot of the colors and pulled one that I thought would work best. From there I did varying shades and tints to give a full palette (while adjusting the original as needed). The following are the screen variations I made.
We were told to come up with a few more ideations for our UI designs, so we all switched screens and tried to design them slightly differently. I added the list of ingredients to the side, slightly changed how the counter reads the ingredients (eggs), and took out directions and step because I felt they might not be needed.